Extended Repayment is a student loan repayment option that extends the term of a federal student loan from the standard 10 year repayment term to a 25 year repayment term.
A 25 year repayment term would lower your monthly student loan payments, but also increase the amount of interest you accrue over the lifetime of the student loan. It would also take an extra 15 years to repay the debt.
Who might qualify for extended student loan repayment?
- Student loan borrowers with Direct Loans of more than $30,000.
- Student loan borrowers with FFEL Loans of more than $30,000.
- For example, if you have $38,000 in Direct Loans and $6,000 in FFEL Loans, only your Direct Loans would be eligible for the extended repayment option.
Which student loans are eligible?
- Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans
- Subsidized and Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan
- All Plus Loans
How do you apply for extended repayment?
Contact your federal student loan servicer and tell them you want to enroll in an extended repayment plan. You will most likely need to fill out additional paperwork to enroll.
Questions? Contact Us!
or Go Back to Student Loan Repayment Plans