NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN
Student Loan Hero, an unbiased solution to organize, manage, and repay your student loans, is thrilled to award two (2) $5,000 main prize and four (4) $2,000 runner-up scholarships each semester to help alleviate educational costs.
Sponsor: The Student Loan Hero $5K Scholarship Contest (“the Contest”) is sponsored by Student Loan Hero, Inc. (the “Sponsor”).
“Participant” means a person who is eligible (see “Eligibility” below) to enter the Contest.
The prize: The main prizes are $5,000 USD each. Twelve (12) total prizes will be given out during the Contest. Total approximate value of all prizes is $36,000 USD. The prize is non-transferable. Any and all prize-related expenses, including without limitation, any and all federal, state, and/or local taxes shall be the sole responsibility of the winner. Funds will be disbursed from Student Loan Hero directly to the school. Student Loan Hero will work directly with the appropriate department to ensure funds are either distributed to the student or applied to their student account.
How to enter: Participants may enter the Contest at [https://studentloanhero.com/scholarships/] (the “Site”) by writing and submitting a short essay of 500 words or less (the “Essay”) answering the following:
- What financial challenges have you overcome growing up? How have they shaped your goals and career aspirations?
Only one entry will be accepted per person. All entries become the exclusive property of Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned.
Terms and Conditions
- Acceptance of these Rules. By submitting an entry, participants fully and unconditionally agree to and accept these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor, which will be final and binding in all matters relating to the Contest.
- Contest Territory. Contest entries are limited to residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia and are void where prohibited. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Subject to any governmental approval that may be required, Sponsor reserves the right to, without prior notice and at any time, terminate the Contest, in whole or in part, or modify the Contest in any way, should any factor interfere with its proper conduct as contemplated by these Official Rules.
- Contest Period. The Contest will begin on August 13, 2018 at 12:00 am EST and end on October 15, 2018 at 11:59pm for the Spring 2019 prizes. The Contest will begin on February 11, 2019 at 12:00 am EST and end on April 12, 2019 at 11:59 pm EST for the Fall 2019 prizes.
- Eligibility. To be eligible, participants must be at least 18 years old to enter and must be pursuing a degree at a college or university, or attend an educational institution whose primary function is the presentation of formal instruction and that normally maintains a regular faculty and curriculum and normally has a regularly enrolled body of students in attendance at the place where it carries on its educational activities, that provides a program that is acceptable for full credit toward a bachelor’s or higher degree, or offers a program of training to prepare students for gainful employment in a recognized occupation, and is authorized under federal or state law to provide such a program and is accredited by a nationally recognized accreditation agency. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify permanently from this Contest any Participant it believes has violated these Official Rules and verify eligibility of participants.
Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion, to cancel the Contest in its entirety, if it becomes technically corrupted or because of non-authorized human intervention.
Employees, officers, or directors of Sponsor, its parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, and their children, parents, spouse, and members of their household are ineligible to participate.
- Effective date of entries. Entries will be effective on the day received. All entries become the exclusive property of the Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned. Participants are responsible for costs of entering, including online access charges, long distance telephone charges, and postage.
- Selection of winners. Essays will be judged by a panel consisting of four (4) personal finance professionals. Each essay will be given a score based on 1) clarity of writing and organization, 2) grammatical correctness, 3) relevance to the prompt question, and 4) creativity and thoughtfulness. Equal weight will be given to each of the four (4) criteria listed. In the event of a tie, the tied entries will be re-submitted to the judges for a re-judging between the tied entries alone. In the event that a tie remains after re-judging, the entry with the highest score in the creativity criteria will be declared the winner.
Winners will be contacted November 16, 2018 for the Spring 2019 prizes and May 24, 2019 for the Fall 2019 prizes, and will be contacted via the email address provided.
- Participants’ and winners’ representations, warranties and cession of rights. Each Participant warrants and represents that the Essay for this Contest is wholly original and their own creation, and that he or she is the sole owner of all rights (other than Sponsor’s) relating to the Essay, and that nothing contained therein infringes any third party’s copyright, patent, trademark, trade secret or other proprietary rights or rights of publicity or privacy for which Participant has not obtained a license to use. Participant warrants and represents that the Essay does not contain anything for which the Participant was compensated or granted any consideration by any third party.
Winners must agree to the use of their names, voices, and/or likeness for the purpose of advertising, trade, or promotion without further compensation, unless prohibited by law.
Winners irrevocably assign and transfer to the Sponsor and its agents, licensees and assignees all rights in their Essay, including, without limitation, all copyrights and grant to the Sponsor and its agents, licensees and assigns the right to reproduce, publish, broadcast/use, adapt, delete, edit and/or modify the Essay in any manner or format, for any programming, publicity, advertising and promotional purposes, and in any and all media worldwide in perpetuity, in all languages and versions, and without additional consideration, except where prohibited by law.
- Expenses and taxes responsibility of Participant. Any and all prize-related expenses, including without limitation any and all federal, state, and/or local taxes shall be the sole responsibility of the winner
- Notification of winners. Contest winner will be notified by email. If not by email than by phone, if applicable. An email will be sent to the winner within two weeks after the evaluation. All decisions are final and binding. Should the email be returned to the Sponsor as invalid, two more attempts will be made via email. Winners must contact the Sponsor within 3 calendar days from the date the notification is sent by Sponsor to claim their prize. Failure to contact Sponsor within that 3-day period will result in immediate disqualification of the selected entrant and a new winner will be selected. No exceptions will be made to this rule. Sponsor is not responsible for and shall not be liable for late, lost, misdirected, or unsuccessful efforts to notify winners.
- Claiming a prize. Winners must execute and return any documentation including but not limited to waiver and release forms required by Sponsor, in its sole discretion and as applicable to the Contest, within 3 calendar days of notification by Sponsor, to Participant(s) provided email address and/or phone number, that they have won the Contest and/or Prize(s). Prize(s) may not be claimed by a third party on behalf of a winner. Sponsor reserves the ability at their sole discretion to choose alternate winner(s) in the event of a disqualification or ineligibility.
- In the event of a dispute regarding who submitted an online entry, the entry will be deemed submitted by the authorized account holder of the email account.
- Other conditions. Sponsor, its agents and representatives, its, affiliates, , advertising, promotion and fulfillment agencies and legal advisors are not responsible for and will not be liable for (I) late, lost, damaged, misdirected, incomplete, unintelligible or postage due entries; (II) telephone, electronic, hardware or software program, network, Internet or computer malfunctions, failures or difficulties of any kind; (III) failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmissions; (IV) any condition caused by events beyond the control of Sponsor that may cause this Contest to be disrupted or corrupted; (V) any injuries losses or damages of any kind arising in connection with or as a result of the Contest, or from participation in the Contest; or (VI) any printing or typographical error in any material associated with the Contest.
- Indemnification. Participants agree to release and hold Sponsor, its employees, officers, directors, shareholders, agents, representatives, affiliates, advertising, promotion and fulfillment agencies, and legal advisors, harmless from any and all losses, damages, rights, claims and actions of any kind in connection with the Contest, including without limitation, personal injury, death and property damage, and claims based on publicity rights, defamation or invasion of privacy. This Contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, any specific social media website. Participants understand that they are providing their information to the Sponsor, for information on how this information is stored, please consult the Sponsor’s privacy policies at: [https://studentloanhero.com/privacy-policy/].
- Choice of law. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of participants and Sponsor in connection with the Contest, will be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the substantive laws of the New York state.
Sponsor does not and shall not discriminate, in any manner on the basis of race, gender or ethnicity, respecting this Contest, employment or advertising practices. Should you become aware of any discriminatory practices in connection with this Contest please contact Sponsor at: [firstname.lastname@example.org]