Do you dream of traveling the world, but feel like it’s impossible because it’s so expensive? You might be in luck.
Cheap Flight Day falls on Aug. 23 and is a time when you can buy airline tickets with discounts as high as 30 percent, according to a CheapOair press release. If you do some research, you can find the cheapest flights and save hundreds on airfare.
What is Cheap Flight Day?
Aug. 23 marks the changing of seasons for airlines. With fewer travelers taking flight, airlines offer steep discounts to attract customers.
“As summer quickly comes to a close, so does the busiest time of the year for travel,” said Sanjay Hathiramani, global SVP of supplier relations for CheapOair, in the press release. “Kids are back to school, the weather starts to cool down, and people are gearing up for the holidays. As the demand for airfare decreases, so do the fares.”
While some airlines do offer special deals on Aug. 23, Cheap Flight Day really is the start of the off-peak season. Fares are expected to stay low until late November when holiday travel begins. Booking now for travel later in the year can result in hefty savings.
Just how good are the travel deals?
The savings can be dramatic. If you have always wanted to travel to Spain, airfare to Madrid can be discounted by over $250. Flights to the Philippines can have $300 or more shaved off the usual price.
While domestic flights tend to have smaller discounts, there are plenty of deals out there that can help you stretch your travel budget further. For example, if you’re flying to Los Angeles, you could see a 27 percent discount.
In addition, some airlines are making Cheap Flight Day their own Black Friday:
- Frontier Airlines: The budget airline is offering the cheapest flights of all the companies out there. Book Frontier Airlines flights to select destinations for $20.
- Southwest Airlines: Southwest Airlines is holding a flash sale today through tomorrow morning where you can book a one-way ticket for as little as $40. The $40 rate only applies to certain flights, but they’re offering other discounts for flights across the U.S.
- WOW Air: WOW Air is relatively new to the U.S., flying out of just 12 locations. To celebrate its recent expansion, WOW Air is offering international flights for as little as $99 starting today.
How to get the cheapest flights
Before booking a flight, make sure you do the following to get the best deal:
- Use flight comparison sites: Use sites like Kayak to compare flights from multiple carriers at once. You’ll be able to find the cheapest flight that works for your schedule.
- Book one-way tickets: Instead of buying round-trip tickets, compare the prices for one-way tickets for each leg of your trip. Different airlines might offer better prices for only a portion of your travel, so you might save more money by booking tickets with two different airlines.
- Book as soon as possible: While Cheap Flight Day signals the start of the lower-price season across all airlines, the special sales offered by companies like Southwest Airlines are time-sensitive. You have to book right away to get the prices listed above.
- Check for more deals within 24 hours: While you should read the fine print before buying a ticket, some airlines allow you to cancel your flight and get a full refund if you contact them within 24 hours.
Traveling on a budget
As vacation season winds down, airlines will be competing heavily for customers. For you, that’s a good thing. They’ll have to offer steep discounts in the next few months to fill their planes, enabling you to score the cheapest flights.
If you’re looking for more travel tips, visit sites that help you find cheap plane tickets.
Interested in refinancing student loans?Here are the top 6 lenders of 2018!
|Lender||Rates (APR)||Eligible Degrees|
|Get real rates from up to 4 Lenders at once
Check out the testimonials and our in-depth reviews!
|2.57% – 6.32%||Undergrad & Graduate||Visit Earnest|
|2.80% – 7.02%||Undergrad & Graduate||Visit Laurel Road|
|2.36% – 7.73%||Undergrad & Graduate||Visit SoFi|
|2.68% – 8.79%||Undergrad & Graduate||Visit Lendkey|
|2.57% – 6.65%||Undergrad & Graduate||Visit CommonBond|
|2.75% – 8.69%||Undergrad & Graduate||Visit Citizens|