STUDENT LOAN HERO, INC.
GRAMM-LEACH-BLILEY ACT PRIVACY NOTICE
The Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act and your NPI
The Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (the “GLBA”) requires companies that collect non-public information (such as telephone number, address, date of birth, occupation, income and health history and social security number) from its customers to provide them with a Privacy Notice relating to the specific use and disclosure of such information.
Student Loan Hero, Inc. (“we,” “our,” “us” or “SLH”) understands your privacy is important. We value our relationship with you and are committed to protecting the confidentiality of your nonpublic personal information (NPI). This notice explains why we collect NPI, what we do with NPI and how we protect your privacy.
This Privacy Notice is for your information only. You do not need to sign and return this notice. If you would like to Opt-out of non-public information you may do so anytime buy following the steps outlined in the Section below entitled “Your Opt-Out Right.”
Categories of Non-Public Information We Collect
The information we collect from you (“non-public information” or “NPI”) may include:
- Information you provide to us, such as application information, contact information, loan information, banking information, income information, Social Security Number, date of birth, citizenship, or reference contact information
- Information about your transactions with us, such as loan repayment history and account balances, as well as information about your interactions with our websites.
How We Collect Non-Public Information
We collect your personal information, for example, when you
- Create a profile or synchronize information on our website
- Provide us with your contact information
- Enter your banking, income, financial, or loan information into your Student Loan Hero profile
- We also collect your personal information from others, such as: the National Student Loan Data System (the “NSLDS”), the Federal Student Aid (FSA) site, banks, private loan servicers, lenders and other custodians and other similar entities.
Who We Disclose Non-Public Information to
If you decide to use our student loan related products, we may disclosure NPI to the U.S. department of education, private loan servicers, lenders and other similar entities in order to consolidate student loans on your behalf.
We may also disclose any of the categories of NPI that we collect to non-affiliated companies as permitted by law and for our everyday business purposes, such as to process transactions, maintain accounts, respond to court orders and legal investigations.
Lastly, we may disclose NPI about you to non-affiliated non-financial companies, such as service providers who assist us with marketing our products and services, and companies that assist with data storage or processing or other administrative activities, and other third party service providers that enable us to provide you with products and services that you have requested.
How We Use and Disclose Non-Public Information That We Collect
In order to help you consolidate your loans, Student Loan Hero, Inc. uses your NPI to:
- Log on to your accounts with the NSLDS, FSA, banks, lenders or private loan servicers on your behalf
- Undertake steps required to consolidate your student loans on your behalf
We may also use the NPI that we collect in the following ways:
- Internal Use. We may use your NPI internally for the purposes of furthering our business, which may include analyzing your information, matching your information with the information of others, processing transactions and services, maintaining accounts, resolving disputes, preventing fraud, and verifying your identity.
- Aggregate Use and Disclosure. We may use and disclose your NPI on an aggregate basis. This means that we combine non-personally-identifiable information about you with non-personally identifiable information from our other users and customers. For example, we may seek to determine the most common ZIP code among the users of our websites and customers and disclose this information to other parties.
We may also use and disclose NPI to:
- Correct technical problems or malfunctions in how we provide our products and services to you and to process your information
- Protect our rights and property and the rights and property of others
- Take precautions against liability
- Respond to claims that your information violates the rights or interests of third parties
- Comply with law or respond to judicial process
- Regulatory or law enforcement agencies or for investigations on matters related to public safety, to the extent permitted by applicable laws or regulations
Your Opt-Out Right
Other than those disclosures permitted by law, you may restrict information sharing with non-affiliated third parties. You may opt out at any time.
If you wish to “opt-out” of information sharing, you must:
- send an email to SLH at email@example.com with the subject line “Opt Out” and indicating in your message that you wish to opt-out of information sharing with third parties, and
- print, complete and submit this OPT-OUT FORM and send via overnight or registered mail to: 1000 East 5th Street, #549, Austin, TX 78702.
Your opt-out choice will become effective upon our receipt of this form.
How We Protect Your Information
We maintain administrative, electronic, and technical safeguards that comply with federal regulations and that are designed to protect the confidentiality and security of your NPI. We also restrict access to NPI to those employees who have a legitimate business need for the information.
Notification of Changes to this Privacy Notice
If we decide to change this privacy notice, we will provide a new notice that reflects our new policies and procedures.
NPI of former customers will be treated as described in this policy.