Working remotely is a dream that’s become a reality for an increasing number of employees.
In 2016, 43% of American employees worked remotely at least some of the time, according to Gallup.
When looking for remote jobs, however, you may be surprised to find many companies that allow remote work still require you live in a particular location. In fact, according to FlexJobs, about 95% of telecommuting jobs listed on its site are restricted to specific areas.
The restrictions may be broad, such as requiring applicants to live in the U.S., or more narrow, such as limiting applicants to a particular city, state, or region.
A recent FlexJobs survey identified the top 15 states with the most work-from-home jobs. If you live in one of these locales — or can move to one — your odds of finding remote work could improve.
15 states with the most remote jobs
FlexJobs reviewed tens of thousands of job listings for remote work posted in 2017 to discover which state had the highest number of telecommuting positions. The states that offered the most remote work opportunities include:
- California: Publishing company Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and Ulta, a beauty and cosmetics company, were among the big-name companies offering remote jobs in California.
- Texas: Work-from-home jobs were available in Texas at national brands such as Wells Fargo and home store Williams Sonoma.
- Virginia: Companies offering telecommuting jobs in Virginia included American Red Cross and CVS Health.
- New York: Those who live in New York saw opportunities from American Express and Teach For America, a nonprofit organization that trains and places teachers in underprivileged schools.
- Florida: Health insurers Humana and UnitedHealth Group were among the companies offering work-from-home jobs in Florida.
- Illinois: Goodway Group, a digital media services company, offered jobs to Illinois residents looking to work from home.
- Pennsylvania: Medical supply and pharmaceutical company McKesson and PNC were among the companies offering work-from-home opportunities in the Keystone State.
- Georgia: Georgia offered many opportunities for telecommuting work, including jobs with First Data, a credit card processor, and Robert Half, a human resources consulting firm.
- North Carolina: Lowe’s, the home improvement giant, offered telecommuting opportunities restricted to North Carolina residents.
- Arizona: For those looking for work-from-home jobs in Arizona, opportunities included positions with Equifax and Grand Canyon University.
- Massachusetts: Kaplan, an educational services company, and Salesforce, a large cloud-computing company that expanded its Boston operations, offered work-from-home jobs in Massachusetts.
- Minnesota: Remote work opportunities in Minnesota included jobs with Abbott, a health care company, and Carlson Wagonlit Travel, a business travel management company.
- New Jersey: Amazon and Citizens Bank both had work-from-home opportunities available in New Jersey.
- Washington: The state of Washington had government jobs available for telecommuters. Also on the list was GreatAuPair, an organization that helps families find caregivers.
- Ohio: JLL, a commercial real estate company, and Xerox both offered work-from-home jobs in Ohio.
How to find a job where you can work from home
No matter where you live, looking for remote jobs can be a challenge. You want to ensure you are applying for legitimate companies that offer real opportunities, not work-from-home scams. To find your dream position, try the following:
- Use job search websites targeted toward telecommuters. Websites such as SkipTheDrive and We Work Remotely allow you to target your search toward companies that allow you to work from home. Some sites, such as FlexJobs and VirtualVocations, offer paid subscriptions to access their full database of open positions. These sites typically do more vetting to make sure the jobs are legitimate, saving you valuable time.
- Review job listings carefully. Not all telecommute jobs offer the same level of flexibility or autonomy. Some jobs allow you the freedom to work any hours you want, while others require a traditional 9-to-5 schedule. Some jobs require your presence on a regular basis — such as once a week — and others involve no face time at all.
- Watch for scams. If a job sounds too good to be true, it likely is. Avoid applying for jobs that promise free money for little work, require you to pay an application fee or buy equipment, or ask for personal identifying information such as your Social Security number.
By browsing job ads carefully, you can find awesome work-from-home jobs, especially if you live in one of the geographic regions FlexJobs has identified as having ample opportunities.
Interested in refinancing student loans?Here are the top 6 lenders of 2019!
|Lender||Variable APR||Eligible Degrees|
|Check out the testimonials and our in-depth reviews!
1 Important Disclosures for SoFi.
2 Important Disclosures for Earnest.
To qualify, you must be a U.S. citizen or possess a 10-year (non-conditional) Permanent Resident Card, reside in a state Earnest lends in, and satisfy our minimum eligibility criteria. You may find more information on loan eligibility here: https://www.earnest.com/eligibility. Not all applicants will be approved for a loan, and not all applicants will qualify for the lowest rate. Approval and interest rate depend on the review of a complete application.
Earnest fixed rate loan rates range from 3.89% APR (with Auto Pay) to 7.89% APR (with Auto Pay). Variable rate loan rates range from 2.54% APR (with Auto Pay) to 7.27% APR (with Auto Pay). For variable rate loans, although the interest rate will vary after you are approved, the interest rate will never exceed 8.95% for loan terms 10 years or less. For loan terms of 10 years to 15 years, the interest rate will never exceed 9.95%. For loan terms over 15 years, the interest rate will never exceed 11.95% (the maximum rates for these loans). Earnest variable interest rate loans are based on a publicly available index, the one month London Interbank Offered Rate (LIBOR). Your rate will be calculated each month by adding a margin between 1.82% and 5.50% to the one month LIBOR. The rate will not increase more than once per month. Earnest rate ranges are current as of March 18, 2019, and are subject to change based on market conditions and borrower eligibility.
Auto Pay discount: If you make monthly principal and interest payments by an automatic, monthly deduction from a savings or checking account, your rate will be reduced by one quarter of one percent (0.25%) for so long as you continue to make automatic, electronic monthly payments. This benefit is suspended during periods of deferment and forbearance.
The information provided on this page is updated as of 0318/2019. Earnest reserves the right to change, pause, or terminate product offerings at any time without notice. Earnest loans are originated by Earnest Operations LLC. California Finance Lender License 6054788. NMLS # 1204917. Earnest Operations LLC is located at 302 2nd Street, Suite 401N, San Francisco, CA 94107. Terms and Conditions apply. Visit https://www.earnest.com/terms-of-service, email us at email@example.com, or call 888-601-2801 for more information on ourstudent loan refinance product.
© 2018 Earnest LLC. All rights reserved. Earnest LLC and its subsidiaries, including Earnest Operations LLC, are not sponsored by or agencies of the United States of America.
3 Important Disclosures for Laurel Road.
Laurel Road Disclosures
However, if the borrower chooses to make monthly payments automatically by electronic funds transfer (EFT) from a bank account, the fixed rate will decrease by 0.25%, and will increase back up to the regular fixed interest rate described in the preceding paragraph if the borrower stops making (or we stop accepting) monthly payments automatically by EFT from the designated borrower’s bank account.
However, if the borrower chooses to make monthly payments automatically by electronic funds transfer (EFT) from a bank account, the variable rate will decrease by 0.25%, and will increase back up to the regular variable interest rate described in the preceding paragraph if the borrower stops making (or we stop accepting) monthly payments automatically by EFT from the designated borrower’s bank account.
4 Important Disclosures for LendKey.
Refinancing via LendKey.com is only available for applicants with qualified private education loans from an eligible institution. Loans that were used for exam preparation classes, including, but not limited to, loans for LSAT, MCAT, GMAT, and GRE preparation, are not eligible for refinancing with a lender via LendKey.com. If you currently have any of these exam preparation loans, you should not include them in an application to refinance your student loans on this website. Applicants must be either U.S. citizens or Permanent Residents in an eligible state to qualify for a loan. Certain membership requirements (including the opening of a share account and any applicable association fees in connection with membership) may apply in the event that an applicant wishes to accept a loan offer from a credit union lender. Lenders participating on LendKey.com reserve the right to modify or discontinue the products, terms, and benefits offered on this website at any time without notice. LendKey Technologies, Inc. is not affiliated with, nor does it endorse, any educational institution.
5 Important Disclosures for CommonBond.
Offered terms are subject to change. Loans are offered by CommonBond Lending, LLC (NMLS # 1175900). If you are approved for a loan, the interest rate offered will depend on your credit profile, your application, the loan term selected and will be within the ranges of rates shown.
All Annual Percentage Rates (APRs) displayed assume borrowers enroll in auto pay and account for the 0.25% reduction in interest rate. All variable rates are based on a 1-month LIBOR assumption of 2.5% effective February 10, 2019.
6 Important Disclosures for Citizens Bank.
Citizens Bank Disclosures
|2.54% – 7.12%3||Undergrad & Graduate|
|2.54% – 7.27%1||Undergrad & Graduate|
|2.67% – 8.96%4||Undergrad & Graduate|
|3.23% – 6.65%2||Undergrad & Graduate|
|2.69% – 7.43%5||Undergrad & Graduate|
|2.98% – 9.72%6||Undergrad & Graduate|