From a less-than-stellar GPA to a high student loan rate, your college-era mistakes have a way of sticking with you. But even if you never earned a spot on the dean’s list, you can get a second chance at a low-cost student loan.
Refinancing your student loans can be a chance to modify your debt to match your needs — and possibly pay less interest. Companies like Purefy give you the opportunity to lower your student loan rate, lower your monthly payment, or both.
Use our Purefy review to find out more about this student loan refinancing platform and whether it could help you ace Student Loan Repayment 101.
Purefy review: Student loan refinancing process
Purefy is a lending platform that connects applicants with lenders that fit their student loan refinancing needs.
Purefy works with two lenders, PenFed Credit Union and Citizens Bank, to offer both student loan refinancing and private student loans for in-school borrowers. This Purefy review will focus on Purefy student loan refinancing offers.
Pros of Purefy student loan refinancing
Here are some Purefy student loan refinance benefits that stand out:
- Adjust student loan terms to match your current needs: With a new student loan, you can take advantage of offers for lower student loan rates. You also can choose the best terms to match your financial situation and goals.
- Quickly see if Purefy can beat your student loan rates: Purefy’s “Find My Rate” tool delivers instant rate estimates from two lenders, with no credit check required.
- Take advantage of unique solutions for all types of applicants: Purefy tailors student loan refinancing offers to meet the specific needs of parents, couples, and even borrowers with imperfect credit.
Cons of Purefy student loan refinancing
As a student loan refinancing platform, Purefy is a solid choice. However, there are a few student loan refinancing drawbacks borrowers should be aware of:
- You have to meet eligibility standards: In other words, you’ll need to have at least decent credit and steady income to get approved for Purefy’s student loan refinancing offers. Or you’ll need a student loan cosigner who can qualify.
- You’ll lose federal student loan benefits: Once you refinance your student loans, you’ll no longer be eligible for federal student loan forgiveness options such as Public Service Loan Forgiveness. You’ll also lose access to federal repayment protections such as deferment and income-driven repayment plans.
How to get customized Purefy student loan refinancing rates
You’ll see in the Purefy review below how easy it is to get a rate estimate for refinancing student loans. Using Purefy’s tool, you have to answer just five questions (pictured below).
Since you submit an estimate of your credit score, there’s no credit check, and your credit won’t be affected. If you’re not sure what your score is, you can check your credit score for free on sites such as Credit Karma and Credit Sesame.
Purefy uses the information you submit to generate customized student loan refinancing rates and offers from its lenders. For each loan offer, Purefy highlights the change in monthly payments and total costs over the life of the loan (pictured below).
If you see an offer you like, you can click through and apply to refinance your student loans with that lender.
On its site, Purefy suggests applicants should be ready to submit important documents, including:
- An image of their driver’s license
- Proof of income, such as a pay stub or tax return
- College transcripts to verify their degree
- Payoff statements for the student loans the applicant intends to refinance
Additionally, you’ll need to submit a PenFed membership application before you can refinance student loans with this credit union.
Purefy interest rates and fees
Since Purefy works with two lenders, it’s easy to quickly compare offers — all with a single rate request. During our Purefy review, we noted the following cost-effective benefits:
- Competitive refinancing rates. Purefy offers low student loan refinancing rates to help many borrowers save. According to Purefy’s site, its lenders set student loan rates based on your credit score and the college degrees you hold.
- A wide range of terms. Whether you’re looking to get out of student debt fast or want to to lower your monthly payments, Purefy can probably help. In the rate offers we previewed, refinanced student loan terms ranged from five years up to 20.
- No fees. Purefy’s student loan refinancing offers carry no origination fees or prepayment penalties, giving you a better chance at savings.
Unfortunately, not every borrower can refinance to lower student loan rates. If you already have low student loan rates, Purefy might not be able to beat them. Borrowers with high-interest student debt, such as Grad or Parent PLUS Loans, are most likely to save money via Purefy.
Purefy student loan refinance eligibility requirements
Purefy student loan refinancing options can be used to pay off and replace outstanding federal student loans, private student loans, and even PLUS Loans.
Applicants also must be U.S. citizens and have a healthy financial background to meet Purefy student loan refinance requirements. That means you’ll need good to excellent credit to be eligible, as outlined by the following lenders:
- PenFed requires a credit score of 700 or higher to qualify for student loan refinancing or 670 with a qualified cosigner.
- Citizens Bank requires a minimum credit score of 680 on student loan refinancing applications or 620 with a qualified cosigner.
Both Purefy lenders also have income requirements for their student loan refinancing offers:
- PenFed requires a minimum annual income of $42,000 or $25,000 with a qualified cosigner.
- Citizens Bank requires a minimum income of $24,000 per year (it may be combined income for applicants with a cosigner) to qualify.
Through our Purefy review, we also noted a few unique student loan refinancing options that not every lender provides:
- Refinancing student loans with the help of a cosigner: If your credit is too low to qualify for student loan refinancing on your own or get the best rates, try adding a cosigner. Both lenders working with Purefy accept cosigners on student loan refinancing applications.
- Parent PLUS Loan refinancing: Only a handful of lenders refinance Parent PLUS Loans, and Purefy’s lenders even provide an option to refinance these loans from the parent’s name to the student’s name.
- Student loan refinancing for married couples: A rare offering, Purefy can facilitate the request to combine and refinance married couples’ student loans. One spouse is the primary borrower, and the other is the cosigner, with interest rates set by the higher credit score of the two.
Lastly, Purefy is willing to work with borrowers in “unique situations” to find the right student loan refinancing solution.
Purefy customer service
Reach out to talk to a representative and see what Purefy can do for you. Here’s how you can get in touch with Purefy’s customer service team:
- Phone: 202-524-1115
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Twitter: @Purefy
If you think Purefy could help you pay less on your student debt, give it a try. With its low-pressure rate checker, you have nothing to lose — and could save quite a bit.
Interested in refinancing student loans?Here are the top 6 lenders of 2018!
|Lender||Rates (APR)||Eligible Degrees|
|Check out the testimonials and our in-depth reviews!|
|2.58% - 7.25%||Undergrad & Graduate||Visit SoFi|
|2.99% - 6.99%||Undergrad & Graduate||Visit Laurel Road|
|2.57% - 6.32%||Undergrad & Graduate||Visit Earnest|
|2.57% - 6.49%||Undergrad & Graduate||Visit CommonBond|
|2.56% - 7.82%||Undergrad & Graduate||Visit Lendkey|
|3.11% - 8.46%||Undergrad & Graduate||Visit Citizens|
Student Loan Hero Advertiser Disclosure
Our team at Student Loan Hero works hard to find and recommend products and services that we believe are of high quality and will make a positive impact in your life. We sometimes earn a sales commission or advertising fee when recommending various products and services to you. Similar to when you are being sold any product or service, be sure to read the fine print, understand what you are buying, and consult a licensed professional if you have any concerns. Student Loan Hero is not a lender or investment advisor. We are not involved in the loan approval or investment process, nor do we make credit or investment related decisions. The rates and terms listed on our website are estimates and are subject to change at any time. Please do your homework and let us know if you have any questions or concerns.