You can get a personal loan from different financial institutions, and Student Loan Hero can help you identify what type of personal loan might be best for you and when you should consider taking out a personal loan, along with the questions you should ask yourself before applying. In this guide, you will learn more about the best personal loans you can find from banks.
PNC Bank offers both secured and unsecured personal loans, meaning it can appeal to those with higher credit scores and those who may be working on improving their credit score. The unsecured loan lets you borrow more money at typically lower interest rates.
A personal installment loan from PNC Bank allows you to borrow between $1,000 and $35,000 with an unsecured loan. The unsecured loan does not require you to have collateral. Exact interest rates will vary based on your location, but you can find APRs as low as 4.99% and as high as 19.99%. The loans come at a fixed rate with various prepayment terms available. You can also use a co-applicant to apply for a personal loan through PNC. There are three options to process your application: online, via phone or in person at a branch. A late fee applies if you miss a payment or do not have sufficient funds for autopay.
- No prepayment penalty.
- Discounts for PNC employees.
- No origination fees or annual fees.
- The advertised rates only apply if you sign up for autopay. If you don’t use autopay or stop using it, you could lose any discounted rate.
- To get the autopay discount, you will also need a PNC checking account.
PNC is a solid option for a secured or unsecured personal loan. It may be a good option if you’re looking for a large loan, since you can borrow up to $35,000, or if you’re looking for a lender that offers different services, such as credit cards or banking.
Citizens Bank offers personal loans that are best for individuals looking to borrow at least $5,000 who have a history of good credit. The application and fund disbursement process is fast, with some funds being available in as quickly as two days. You can choose a repayment option between three and seven years. There are no fees for personal loans.
To be eligible for a personal loan with Citizens Bank, you have to meet a few requirements:
- Strong credit history
- Minimum income of $24,000
- Age of majority in your state
- U.S. citizen or resident of Puerto Rico
- High lending capabilities. With a personal loan up to $50,000 available, you have a lot of flexibility in what you can borrow.
- Soft credit check. You can get a rate in around two minutes online with a soft credit check, which won’t impact your credit score.
- Additional discounts. There are additional discounts available for your loan that can take up to 0.50 percentage points off your interest rate. Utilizing autopay will knock 0.25 percentage points off your rate, while enrolling in the Loyalty Discount will earn you 0.25 percentage points as well. You can use any account for autopay. If you have a Citizens Bank account, you qualify for the Loyalty Discount.
- High minimum borrowing. The minimum amount to borrow is $0, which may be considered a high amount for some people.
- Requires a good credit history. The loan is not secured, so you will need a solid credit score and history to get a good rate.
- Citizens Bank checking and savings accounts are only available in the following states: Connecticut, Delaware, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Vermont.
Citizens Bank is one of the oldest financial institutions in the country, which adds to its reputation. It is a good option with some additional discounts available if you’re in one of the states that offers checking and savings accounts with the branch and if you’re looking to borrow at least $5,000.
Wells Fargo Bank
Wells Fargo offers a wide range of personal loans, from $3,000 to $100,000. It advertises using its personal loans as a way to consolidate debt, fund home improvement or renovation projects, cover unexpected expenses and more. Wells Fargo also offers secured personal loans that use collateral if your credit score is lower than desirable.
APRs with a Wells Fargo personal loan range from 6.99% – 23.99% and come with terms of 12 to 60 months. There are No origination fees origination fees or prepayment penalties. It offers occasional rate discounts — usually around 0.50% percent for new loan applicants.
- No fees for unsecured personal loans.
- Potential discounts for using autopay.
- Funds are available quickly — as soon as in one business day.
- Borrowing up to $100,000 is available.
- Hard credit check. The application process, available online or in person, is lengthy because it requires a full credit check to get your rate.
- There are annual and origination fees if you chose a secured personal loan.
Wells Fargo gives you a lot of flexibility, especially if you need a large amount to borrow or if you’re looking for a secured personal loan.
TD Bank Express Loan
Billed as “America’s Most Convenient Bank,” TD Bank tries to live up to its name by offering three personal loans options: an unsecured personal loan, a secured personal loan and a special TD Express Loan, designed to get you your money faster. Loan terms are between 12 to 60 months , depending on which loan amount you choose.
The TD Express Loan, which can deliver your funds in as little as two business days, is only available for amounts from $2,000 to $25,000. If you need more, up to $50,000, you can choose the unsecured loan. Both types of loans have APRs between 6.99% – 18.99% with no origination or application fees. The minimum monthly payment for the TD Express Loan, no matter your loan amount, is at least $125. There is also a late fee of at least 5% or the payment amount, or $10, whichever is less. Rates for the loans are fixed.
- The TD Express Loan is a unique option if you’re looking for a fast and convenient way to get a loan.
- TD Bank is open on the weekends if you’re looking for more flexible service hours. It also offers mobile banking.
- The TD Express Loan cannot be used for educational purposes.
- The cited low APRs are assuming that you will use autopay with a TD Bank account. If you do not use autopay, your rate could increase by 0.25%.
- Most of the 1,300 TD Bank locations are on the East Coast. If you live elsewhere, the bank may not be the most convenient option for you.
TD Bank is an option for a personal loan that makes sense for individuals who are located near one of its institutions on the East Coast and are looking for a secured or unsecured personal loan. You should also be prepared to utilize a TD Bank savings or checking account to maximize the discount for your APR.
Like Citizens Bank, Citibank has a long history as a financial institution, tracing its roots back to the 1800s. Citibank is a large institution that offers a wide range of financial services, from personal and business credit cards to banking to lending.
To qualify for a personal loan from Citibank, you will need to meet a few requirements. You will need to have a Citibank checking, savings, money market or certificate of deposit (CD) account that averages a month-end balance of greater than $0 for the past three months. You can’t have more than two loan accounts with Citibank, and you need at least six months between opening your most recent loan with it. You must also have an annual income of at least $10,500.
Assuming you borrow at least $10,000, APRs range from 7.99% – 17.99%. Loans are available for as low as $2,000. Loan terms are 12 to 60 months. You can apply for loans under $30,000 online, in person at a branch. Loans over $30,000 require you to call the bank directly or visit a branch office.
- Online borrowing is available up to $30,000.
- You can qualify for a lower interest rate on your loan if you sign up for autopay.
- You can borrow more than $30,000, but you will need to call customer service to see if you qualify.
- You can earn ThankYou Rewards for using an eligible Citibank checking account that is also enrolled in the reward program.
- While it’s not necessarily a large problem, Citibank states that you will receive a check for your loan amount in the mail in about five business days, which is a little longer than some of the other institutions that promise direct deposit in as little as a day or two.
- The fine print lists that Citibank’s rate for personal loans is subject to change at any point without notice.
- Although the reward program can be a pro, it could also be a negative if you don’t qualify. You will need to have at least one direct deposit and one automatic bill payment a month to earn rewards.
If you’re already a Citibank customer and are familiar with its ThankYou® Rewards program, choosing it as a financial lender for your personal loan might make a lot of sense.
Interested in a personal loan?Here are the top personal loan lenders of 2019!
|Lender||APR Range||Loan Amount|
|1 Includes AutoPay discount. Important Disclosures for SoFi.
2 Includes AutoPay discount. Important Disclosures for Payoff.
3 Important Disclosures for FreedomPlus.
4 Important Disclosures for Citizens Bank.
Citizens Bank Disclosures
5 Important Disclosures for LendingPoint.
6 Important Disclosures for LendingClub.
All loans made by WebBank, Member FDIC. Your actual rate depends upon credit score, loan amount, loan term, and credit usage & history. The APR ranges from 6.95% to 35.89%*. The origination fee ranges from 1% to 6% of the original principal balance and is deducted from your loan proceeds. For example, you could receive a loan of $6,000 with an interest rate of 7.99% and a 5.00% origination fee of $300 for an APR of 11.51%. In this example, you will receive $5,700 and will make 36 monthly payments of $187.99. The total amount repayable will be $6,767.64. Your APR will be determined based on your credit at the time of application. The average origination fee is 5.49% as of Q1 2017. In Georgia, the minimum loan amount is $3,025. In Massachusetts, the minimum loan amount is $6,025 if your APR is greater than 12%. There is no down payment and there is never a prepayment penalty. Closing of your loan is contingent upon your agreement of all the required agreements and disclosures on the www.lendingclub.com website. All loans via LendingClub have a minimum repayment term of 36 months. Borrower must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or be in the United States on a valid long term visa and at least 18 years old. Valid bank account and Social Security number are required. Equal Housing Lender. All loans are subject to credit approval. LendingClub’s physical address is: LendingClub, 71 Stevenson Street, Suite 1000, San Francisco, CA 94105.
†Per reviews collected and authenticated by Bazaarvoice in compliance with the Bazaarvoice Authentication Requirements, supported by anti-fraud technology and human analysis. All reviews can be reviewed at reviews.lendingclub.com
**Based on approximately 60% of borrowers who received offers through LendingClub’s marketing partners between January 1, 2018 to July 20,2018. The time it will take to fund your loan may vary.
7 Important Disclosures for Earnest.
8 Important Disclosures for Avant.
* The actual rate and loan amount that a customer qualifies for may vary based on credit determination and other factors. Funds are generally deposited via ACH for delivery next business day if approved by 4:30pm CT Monday-Friday. Avant branded credit products are issued by WebBank, member FDIC.
** Example: A $5,700 loan with an administration fee of 4.75% and an amount financed of $5,429.25, repayable in 36 monthly installments, would have an APR of 29.95% and monthly payments of $230.33
* Important Disclosures for Upgrade Bank.
Upgrade Bank Disclosures
** Accept your loan offer and your funds will be sent to your bank via ACH within one (1) business day of clearing necessary verifications. Availability of the funds is dependent on how quickly your bank processes this transaction. From the time of approval, funds should be available within four (4) business days.
|5.75% – 16.24%1||$5,000 - $100,000|
|7.46% – 35.99%||$1,000 - $50,000|
|7.99% – 35.89%*||$1,000 - $50,000|
|5.99% – 24.99%2||$5,000 - $35,000|
|5.99% – 29.99%3||$7,500 - $40,000|
|6.79% – 20.89%4||$5,000 - $50,000|
|9.99% – 35.99%5||$2,000 - $25,000|
|6.95% – 35.89%6||$1,000 - $40,000|
|6.99% – 18.24%7||$5,000 - $75,000|
|9.95% – 35.99%8||$2,000 - $35,000|