Where you live can impact your life in big ways, and some of them are not so obvious. Case in point — your student loans.
Consider this: Most U.S. states have programs that help residents pay off their student debt. Eligibility for these usually hinges on what you do for a living and whether or not there’s a great need for that work where you live.
But the number and scope of the programs offered can vary widely by state. And while it’s hard to precisely rank the states by their student debt programs, since they can change from year to year, some states are usually way ahead of the pack.
With that in mind, here are four states that are especially generous when it comes to student loan forgiveness programs.
Minnesota gets an A+ in offering student loan forgiveness programs, thanks to its sheer volume of programs available to health care professionals. You can find them all in detail via the Minnesota Department of Health.
- Minnesota Allied Healthcare Faculty Loan Forgiveness
- Minnesota Dental Therapist Loan Forgiveness
- Minnesota Dentist Student Loan Forgiveness
- Minnesota Rural Mental Health Professional Loan Forgiveness
- Minnesota Urban Mental Health Professional Loan Forgiveness
- Minnesota Rural Midlevel Practitioner Loan Forgiveness
- Minnesota Nurse Faculty Loan Forgiveness
- Minnesota Nurse in Nursing Homes Loan Forgiveness
- Minnesota Rural Pharmacist Loan Forgiveness
- Minnesota Rural Physician Loan Forgiveness
- Minnesota Urban Physician Loan Forgiveness
- Minnesota Public Health Nurse Loan Forgiveness
- Minnesota Rural Veterinarian Loan Forgiveness
- Minnesota State Loan Repayment Program
Minnesota also offers student loan repayment assistance to lawyers working for specific Minnesota agencies, which you can learn more about via LRAP Minnesota.
California has a healthy number of student loan repayment assistance programs for its residents. The Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development houses information on the programs listed below.
- Allied Healthcare Loan Repayment Program
- Bachelor of Science Nursing Loan Repayment Program
- California State Loan Repayment Program
- Licensed Mental Health Services Provider Education Program
- Licensed Vocational Nurse Loan Repayment Program
- Mental Health Loan Assumption Program
- Steven M. Thompson Physician Corps Loan Repayment Program
That’s not all. Dentists working in underserved areas in California can see if they qualify for the CDA Foundation Student Loan Repayment Grant.
New York also makes the list for its significant number of programs to help its residents pay down their student loans. The New York State Higher Education Services Corporation lists the following in detail, including places to apply.
- New York State District Attorney and Indigent Legal Services Attorney Loan Forgiveness
- New York State Licensed Social Worker Loan Forgiveness
- New York State Nursing Faculty Loan Forgiveness Incentive
- New York State Young Farmers Loan Forgiveness Incentive Program
- New York State Get On Your Feet Loan Forgiveness Program
New Yorkers can also get help repaying their loans if they qualify for the Regents Physician Loan Forgiveness Award Program or Teach NYC.
Being home to NASA’S Mission Control, it should come as no surprise that Texas offers a science scholar forgiveness program. But that’s not all the state offers. You can find links to all of the programs in Texas listed below on the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board Student Loans loan repayment programs page.
- Loan Repayment Program for Mental Health Professionals
- Math and Science Scholars Loan Repayment Program
- Nursing Faculty Loan Repayment Assistance Program
- Physician Education Loan Repayment Program
- St. David’s Foundation Public Health Corps Loan Repayment Program
- Teach for Texas Loan Repayment Assistance Program
There’s also one more program, the Texas Student Loan Repayment Assistance Program, which provides help with student loan repayment to qualified legal aid lawyers.
Don’t stop your research here
While your state might not be as generous as these when it comes to student loan forgiveness, that doesn’t mean they don’t offer any programs to help. In fact, states add and remove programs each year based on funding and other factors, so that in any given year, your home state could offer more opportunity than the last time you checked.
In the meantime, here’s a list of student loan repayment plans by state — and student loan forgiveness programs offered nationally. And don’t forget to check for loan repayment plans from your alma mater as well.
Being the most educated generation has its benefits. Use those research skills you gained in college to keep finding more ways to get help paying off your student loans. You might be surprised at what you can unearth after a little bit of digging.
Interested in refinancing student loans?Here are the top 6 lenders of 2018!
|Lender||Rates (APR)||Eligible Degrees|
|Get real rates from up to 4 Lenders at once
Check out the testimonials and our in-depth reviews!
|2.57% – 6.32%||Undergrad & Graduate||Visit Earnest|
|2.80% – 7.02%||Undergrad & Graduate||Visit Laurel Road|
|2.51% – 7.80%||Undergrad & Graduate||Visit SoFi|
|2.76% – 8.54%||Undergrad & Graduate||Visit Lendkey|
|2.57% – 6.65%||Undergrad & Graduate||Visit CommonBond|
|2.75% – 8.69%||Undergrad & Graduate||Visit Citizens|